Tuesday, July 5, 2011

His Eye Is On The Sparrow

This past April, we had the opportunity to witness one of God’s little miracles unfold right outside the bay window in our dining room.  One day, we noticed a bird’s nest with eggs in it atop some of our shrubs.  In the days following, it became a bit of an obsession to track the progress of these birds to be.  My husband and I truly enjoyed the excitement of our two year old son as he did his daily ‘check’ on the nest.   We were able to capture some pictures of the transformation:

birds 007 

birds 020

birds 032

birds 044

birds 047

birds 050

birds 003

As we watched the transformation from an egg to a living, breathing bird, I was acutely aware of how much God cares for His creation.  After it hatched, that baby bird’s every need was met.  His mother protected him in the storms by sitting upon his nest, and his father would sound an alarm if any threat of danger was near.  His father also faithfully brought food to the nest so the bird would be well nourished.  Over a period of about two weeks, the bird continued to grow and develop until it was strong enough to fly away. 

As I witnessed this miracle, it brought me a sense of a peace.  You see, my husband and I are currently in the midst of our 2nd international adoption.  We are on a waitlist for a precious little girl in Ethiopia about whom we have no information yet are completely in love with her.  Seeing how much God cared for that baby bird reminded me just how precious life is to our Creator.  If He was willing to go to that length to ensure that bird’s needs were met, how can I not trust that He holds our daughter in His perfect wings of protection.  During those two weeks, the words from a hymn I truly love kept coming to mind:

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me

I am not saying the wait is easy, but it is comforting to know that my daughter is well taken care of until she is forever home in our family.  To those of you who are waiting for that precious child/children that God has hand picked for your family, may you be encouraged by the little miracles that remind you God is in control and therefore, we can put our worries to rest.

29 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care.[a] 30 And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.  Matthew 10: 29-31

No comments:

Post a Comment