Monday, July 18, 2011

What have you been asked to do?

"Remember, it is sin to know what you ought to do and then not do it." James 4:17

This is a humbling verse. It is very difficult to read these words and then not begin to think of things in your life that you feel the Lord tugging at you about and then simply NOT do it.

There are discussions and books about the calling of the Lord and they are all well and good, but the truth of the matter is we must be DOING what the Lord asks of us.

This past weekend, my family and I went on a little trip to the Smoky Mountains. We hadn't been since our first daughter was a baby and we wanted to take both girls this time. While we were there we experienced the normal awkward looks and little comments about our beautiful trans-racial family. This time, however, it truly didn't cause me to become upset. I felt the most incredible peace as I walked around...knowing that our family had done what the Lord had asked and we continue to strive to do so.

I believe that at this point in my life I have figured out that God will instruct us to follow Him and at times that means people don't agree with your choices, they don't understand the dynamics of your family, they don't like what they see...but our purpose isn't to please others--we are meant to please an audience of One. It is a sin not to.

We have one life here on earth and one opportunity to do all we do for His kingdom and personally for our family that includes adopting those that He finds most precious.

When you do go on the path less traveled and do what God calls for your family He opens up doors to talk to people wherever you are. While my husband was shopping for new shades the girls and I sat outside on a bench next to a woman who bluntly said, "Did you adopt them?" I responded with a simple, "Yes". She began asking why we adopted a black and bi-racial child...so I simply told her that the Lord had called us to adopt and He placed these girls into our hands and that we have been blessed far greater than we could imagine. I was able to talk to her about The 1:27 Call and our ministry to care for orphans and what the Lord is doing and going to do for other families on the adoption journey because of six families that are doing what the Lord asked of them. She made a few remarks but the point is that I got to share my Jesus...with this woman on the Gatlinburg strip all because of my two little conversation starters I call my daughters.

The Lord asks us to do things we don't always understand and we are taken out of our comfort zone many times when we go through the adoption process...but the beauty held within is more than I can put into words.

So, what is Jesus asking you to do? When you do what He asks...He blesses more than you can fathom.

No comments:

Post a Comment